Thu, 2 May 2019

Product certification to KNX standards

When you buy a KNX product, are you sure it is certified?

This question may seem obvious, or perhaps of little relevance if you intend to develop a project yourself or for an isolated building. The determining factor is the compliance with specific certification when the product must be placed in a wider context, such as the public sector or the tertiary sector. Nevertheless, there are many products on the market that are not officially certified by KNX. The registration and certification of a product is also synonymous with compatibility with other KNX devices on the market and the quality of both their hardware and software. It is therefore important to go into the phases of this process in more detail. Each KNX standard product placed on the market must follow a specific registration and control process in order to benefit from the official status of KNX product. 

 

 

1. Starting the registration phase

The manufacturer starts the registration phase by sending all the documentation to the KNX association when it has a functioning, stable ETS application and allows product data to be entered into the central ETS database. The device can already be marketed even if it is not yet certified. If you use ETS5 (or later versions), you can access the product directly from the Online Catalogue, which can also be updated automatically. 

 

 

2. Verification of conformity and testing

The certification, which identifies the end of the process and allows you to label your product with the KNX mark, takes place only after demonstrating compliance with the following requirements:

  • Quality system ISO 9001.
  • Compliance with the European standard EN 50090-2-2, which covers aspects such as EMC, electrical safety, environmental aspects of bus products. This conformity is demonstrated by the presentation of the EC declaration.
  • Use of a certified KNX stack, both in terms of protocol characteristics and use.
  • KNX Interworking requirements with respect to standardised data types and (optionally) enabled function blocks. 

In particular, the last point requires specific tests to be performed at one of the KNX-accredited laboratories, which currently are only 16 worldwide.

 

3. Acceptance and certification tests

To allow faster entry into the market, products can be labelled with the KNX mark immediately after registration. The applicant has 6 months to complete the acceptance tests on the products, unless there are defects that delay the approval. Currently, 95% of the products marketed by Ekinex are certified, while the remaining 5% are in the final stages of testing. Registered and certified KNX products can be found easily, thanks to the search engine on the website www.knx.org. 

 

The certification of Ekinex products is not only a guarantee of quality, but also a "mission", in which we deepen our energies.

Recently Visited

Renovation wave and Smart buildings
EKINEX LAB

The European Union's plan aims to double the rate of building renovation, cutting emissions, stimulating recovery and reducing energy poverty; to do this it needs more and more smart buildings

Mon, 18 January 2021
Control Ekinex KNX devices with your voice
EKINEX LAB

By means of a gateway, the most common home speakers can also be interfaced to the KNX home automation system of a smart home. In addition to voice commands, ekinex can also be controlled with the Apps offered by the OTT.

Wed, 13 November 2019